Sunday, January 11, 2009

How time flies

I've been busy. If you remember I said that several of us were going to work on a Saturday because of an audit...Well we worked on Saturday and then stayed late on Monday for the audit on Tuesday. The audit was of my department. I've been working in this department for 6 months. I started the end of June 2008. I'm just now starting to understand a very small portion of what we do. On Tuesday the woman came in to check us out. I was already exhausted but ready to breeze through this thing because we had prepared. My executive director and director of nursing were in control of which records to pull. Remember I'm still learning. I had thought we should pull records for the months of July, August and September. I was corrected and told to pull the records for the months of January, February and March. So for 4 days we pulled records, dug through piles of patient records and tried to sort things out to make the audit run smoothly. We had everything ready. All in order and separate so we could just pick up what she asked for and hand it over.

The woman came in, we set her up in an extra office and got ready to get this thing over with quickly. She produced the first list with patient names and dates. I smiled walked slowly to my office, stepped in and closed the door. I went to my desk and sat calmly into my chair. I called the ED and the DON and asked them to come to my office please. The two other woman in my office were just looking at me and waiting. ED and DON walked in, I smiled and handed them the list. All the records requested were for the months of July, August and September. I wanted to puke. I took a deep breath and went to work.

The audit didn't go badly, it was just stressful. We are allowed a 25% error rate. We have a 19% error rate. Don't freak, this has nothing to do with patient care, this is all on the money end. Anything below 25% doesn't have to pay back any moneys already paid. Anything over 25% starts costing the company.

I had to do some in-services this past week. I went in Saturday morning at 1 AM and again Saturday at 2:30 PM. I only held 4 classes and they weren't very long, about an hour.

Some of my flowers are getting ready to bloom. It's too early but we've been having some warm weather. One day it'll be 60 and the next it'll be 30. I'm tired and it's getting late here. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

bubbles said...

Ugh. Sounds exhausting. Glad you survived the audit!

Cheer34 said...

I hate audits......just when you think you have the bean counters figured out....they change directions

Cheer34 said...

hope you are well